The Dodge M37 is a three-quarter ton four-wheel drive truck, used extensively by the United States armed forces during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. A number of variants were produced with slightly different configurations: command truck, telephone maintenance vehicle, ambulance, enclosed utility truck, and air field fire engine.
The six prototypes of the vehicle were produced in early to mid 1950 based on the WC series Dodge vehicles used in World War Two. Many of the components on the M37 are similar or identical to the World War Two vehicle and many deficiencies of the previous series were corrected in the M37. Notably, a conventional pickup truck style bed replaced the platform on the World War Two vehicle, simplifying production. The powerplant was identical to the World War Two era WC vehicles line, as was most of the drivetrain. The straight-six cylinder engine was derived from a 1930s era passenger vehicle engine that was widely produced. This was in line with a long standing military procurement strategy that attempted to use commercially-produced vehicle variants in military service. Many of the accessories on the M37 engine are identical to the engines from that era. The Dodge Power Wagon is the civilian counterpart to the M37.
Production of the M37 began in earnest in January 1951, with approximately 11,000 vehicles produced by the end of the year. By mid-1954 63,000 of the vehicles were built. In total, between 1951 and 1968 115,000 M37s were produced.